- Through a harmonious display of color that washes over a unique setting, Otherland makes it immediately clear that you're not visiting a typical candle company.
- Storytelling is the focus of the rest of the home page—brand values, testimonials from top publications, and a quote from their origin story hovering over a photo of the Founder are capped off by a colorful grid of photos from their Instagram.
- There are bits of value spread throughout the site, but it's the culmination of it all that implies real value. It's a statement—conveying a unique personality—more than it is a direct value proposition.
Engaging the audience
- Otherland masters the use of color to set a tone. Set design serves as a vibrant foundation for props that play supporting roles to their products.
- These scenes serve a purpose beyond looks; selling scented products online with descriptions and plain photos, alone, is difficult. Maximizing engagement of the visitor's senses enables them to better understand the product.
- That brings us to the Spring Collection page where, right below the feature image, Otherland takes you on a short journey through the products in story form. Splashes of color serve as a backdrop for smooth interactions that introduce the next sentences alongside specific products. It's a clever way to tie the three products together—making the collection more cohesive rather than allowing customers to see these as three separate products.
Making it memorable
- The visuals alone make the Otherland website remarkable. Using a few contemporary trends, they piece together something unique that stays with you when you leave. The collages on the product pages, the bright colors, the psychedelic scenes that somehow feel natural; these elements all feel so refreshingly different in a segment that can, at times (ironically), feel stale.
- Otherland boasts an exceptional About page that tells visitors who started the company, why they did, and how they bring their mission to life through their products. You'll struggle to find a page that more effectively uses photography, story, and layout to craft a compelling narrative.